Welcome to my blog! If you're here to read a film review, then you are in the right place! I've always been a film fanatic and telling others what I know and love about film is something that I love to do! Enjoy! -Keeley xoxo

Friday, April 11, 2014

Movie Review: Winter's Tale

Winter's Tale is a "see this if you want to" and here's why:



Let me begin by saying that I was really excited for this movie to come out.  After I first watched the trailer, I was counting down the days until I could buy my ticket.

Was it what I thought it was going to be? Definitely not.

Was it still good? I think so.

Winter's Tale was much more sci-fi / fantasy than I was expecting it to be.  I am usually not a huge fan of these types of films, but this time I was intrigued.  What I enjoyed about this movie was that it meshed together history and fantasy.  The story itself is incredibly interesting and actually made me want to read the book by Mark Helprin.  It is an interesting love story with elements of danger, risk, and the supernatural.




Overall, I thought the acting was fairly well done.  Colin Farrell is one of my favorites, and he rarely disappoints me.  His portrayal of Peter Lake is just beautiful.  I was really impressed by how deep he went with this character.  And I grew to love Peter Lake wholeheartedly by the end of the film.  What a beautiful character Mark Helprin and Colin Farrell have created together.



I have loved Jessica Brown Findlay ever since I began watching Downton Abbey.  She is magnificent as Beverly and I found her character to be incredibly inspiring.  The way she plays Beverly is courageous and moving.



Now let's talk about the imperfections.  There are quite a few.  But the movie is still very enjoyable if you can over look them.  I am usually a big Russell Crowe fan, but he did not impress me in this movie.  I actually expected much more from him.

As for Jennifer Connelly, well, she's so-so.  Nothing to rave about. I felt that the second half of the film was rushed and that Jennifer Connelly's character didn't ask nearly enough questions when she was put on a flying horse.

The mix of history and the present is odd at times, but I wouldn't call this an imperfection, just a stylistic choice that some will find interesting, and some won't.  You will understand what I mean once you watch the film and see how the devil is portrayed.  Also, the actor that portrays him is quite the surprise!  Talk about a sneaky cameo!



This movie is far from perfect.  The acting is not perfect, the screenplay is not perfect, and many other things are not perfect. But this is a beautiful story.  And it is worth viewing.  Take a few hours out of your day to see this film once it comes out on DVD (it's out of theaters), you won't regret it.  If you can tell yourself to stick it out through the odd parts, you won't be disappointed by the ending.  It is one of the most clever and moving I have seen in a while.

Rating: ***/5 stars





No comments:

Post a Comment