Welcome to my blog! If you're here to read a film review, then you are in the right place! I've always been a film fanatic and telling others what I know and love about film is something that I love to do! Enjoy! -Keeley xoxo

Friday, April 11, 2014

Movie Review: Draft Day

Draft Day is a "see this if you want to" and here's why:



If you are a sports fan of any kind, you will like this movie.  It all takes place in the span of one long day: draft day.  It has suspense, intrigue, and heart.  I learned quite a bit about what an actual draft day is like for GM's (although, I'm sure this is a tad more dramatic), and I found it incredibly interesting!  Kevin Costner's character, Sonny, has to decide between taking the top prospect, Bo Callahan, or making a few other risky deals and choosing other players.  What I really liked about this film was it's focus on honesty.  I don't want to give anything away, but Sonny Weaver Jr makes quite a few big moves based on a certain person's character versus his playing ability.



In this film we get to see the "war rooms" of other football organizations such as the Buffalo Bills, Seattle Seahawks, Jacksonville Jaguars, and plenty more.  Many actual players make a cameo in this film as well as some actors that I had no clue were still trying their hand at acting (aka P. Diddy, Sean Combs, Puff Daddy, or whatever the heck he goes by now).  Plus, Peyton Manning was shown on screen twice.  Double points for who ever made that happen.  Not to mention John Elway was talked about as well. It's a lot of fun to watch if you are a Broncos fan!  But the point is, it actually weaves in real players and real situations from the NFL's past.




The acting in this movie is so-so.  But don't worry, the story is so interesting, that it will keep you invested.  Kevin Costner is Kevin Costner, either you like him or you don't.  I happen to like him, so I enjoyed his portrayal of  the Cleveland Browns General Manager.  It's the same way with Jennifer Garner, you're either a fan of her acting style, or you're not.  I tend to not be impressed with her, but I enjoyed her in this movie.  Her character was interesting to me, and I felt like I could relate to her in some way.  Dennis Leary does a great job playing a control-freak coach who wants everything to go his way.  And Patrick St. Esprit does a wonderful job making the audience loathe him.  Now, I can't leave out Chadwick Boseman's portrayal of Vontae Mack, a college player about to be drafted by the Cleveland Browns, or so he hopes.



I would mark this movie as a "must see" but it's just not at that level.  I should say, it is a "must see" for sports fans who don't really care about Oscar-worthy acting or directing.  It is a lot of fun and it is a movie that I'm glad I spent my money on.


Rating: *** (3/5) stars






No comments:

Post a Comment