Welcome to my blog! If you're here to read a film review, then you are in the right place! I've always been a film fanatic and telling others what I know and love about film is something that I love to do! Enjoy! -Keeley xoxo

Friday, April 4, 2014

Movie Review: Noah

Noah is a "see this if you want to" and here's why: 


Let me start off by saying that this movie is about as biblically accurate as Evan Almighty.  If you go into the theater with the expectation of watching the miraculous and heroic story of Noah and his ark, then you will be sorely disappointed.

I had been waiting impatiently for several months for this film to come out and was extremely excited about it.  Needless to say, I had very high hopes for this film. I desperately wanted it to be this great and successful film about one of my favorite stories from the bible. 

It wasn't.

That being said, I didn't hate it. I actually enjoyed a good amount of it. 

Here's what I liked:
-The cinematography. It's absolutely beautiful.
-The scenes where the animals make their way to the ark are very cool and well-designed.
- The score. It's gorgeous.
- It was thrilling and kept me interested.
- As much as she bothers me, Jennifer Connelly's performance was skillfully done and very emotional.




What I didn't like: 
- The rock men (this fabricated element of the film is so "out there" that it's laughable).
- The fact that God is never mentioned. They refer to him as "The Creator." But he feels more like a crazy scientist, rather than an almighty being who created all things with love. 
- There is absolutely zero religious feeling within this film. ZERO.
- The twist they took on Noah's character, making him seem mentally unstable and some-what evil in the second half of the film.
- It feels more like a dystopian/sci-fi flick rather than a biblical telling of the beginning of the world.
- Anthony Hopkins' character of Methuselah. He is extremely bizarre. His role in this film may be the weirdest thing of all. 


If you don't like Darren Aranofsky's directing style then you are bound to find this film odd and not enjoy it very much. But if you find his style interesting (which I do about 75% of the time) you might take a chance on this film.

 I was disappointed in this film, but I still enjoyed it...which I didn't think was possible.  I don't regret seeing it, but it was not what I wanted it to be. 

Rating: *** (3/5 stars)



No comments:

Post a Comment